Cafe and Catering Cook
Interview Date: ASAP
Start date ASAP
Hourly rate: £10.90 (Real living wage)
25 up to 35 hours
Usual hours: weekdays 7am to 12 noon.
There may be the need for the occasional weekend shift. Rota issued two weeks in advance.
31 days annual leave > pro rata
About Future Leap
Future Leap was created to give organisations the space, knowledge, contacts and tools to accelerate their sustainability journey and progress towards net zero carbon. We do this by showcasing innovative solutions, facilitating future-thinking discussions and collaborating with one another. We aim to be the primary source of sustainability related services and information for both commercial and domestic clients in the South West and beyond.
Future Leap supports businesses and provides: Co-working and meeting spaces, Café and Retail, Business Network, Events program, Sustainability consultancy and Financial services.
Future Leap has opened two popular co-working spaces in Bristol. The Future Leap HQ is located on Gloucester Road and operates as an evening events venue, co-working space with a large shop front and a busy onsite café. Our café is committed to operating ethically and sustainably offering a variety of home-made food, freshly ground barista coffee accommodating a variety of dietary requirements.
About the role
The successful candidate will work in our busy café on Gloucester Road preparing hot and cold food for the cafe, and catering for internal and external meetings and events. Our menu is simple and seasonal and includes vegan and gluten free options.
You will be required to cook and prepare a variety for items such as: sandwiches, home-made fillings, soups, salads and one pot meals to recipe using local and sustainable ingredients.
We are seeking an experienced cook with a passion for fresh, local and seasonal produce. You do not need to be a chef but have experience in cooking with a knowledge of food hygiene, but most of a passion for good food with a great ethos!
- To carry out all aspects of kitchen operations: food hygiene, due diligence, cleaning, food preparation and cooking
- To prepare and cook batch dishes like soups and cereals. Making daily food for retail including sandwiches and salads
- To make suggestions on the menu, ingredients and suppliers
- Ensure allergens are handled carefully and that customer welfare is taken seriously. Be aware of food contents and ensure food is safe for individual customers and correctly labelled
- keeping on top of due diligence and food hygeine including produce labelling, stock rotation and cleanliness
- Future Leap is committed to socially and environmentally responsible operation and working towards net zero carbon emissions. Ensure the work you carry out is consistent with Future Leap’s sustainability approach including consideration towards ethical procurement, reducing waste and energy and carbon consumption.
- An experienced hospitality professional with a friendly and pro-active approach to customer service and team management.
- Experience in cooking and all aspects of kitchen operations
- Friendly, hardworking, helpful
- Flexible and organised
- Positive problem solver attitude
- Confident when responsible for opening, closing and lone working
- Good knowledge of food hygiene and safety systems
Skills and Experience
- Previous kitchen experience is essential
- Required: Food hygiene Level 2 or above
- Desirable: First aid training
- An interest in sustainability would be advantageous, however an enthusiasm to learn is important.
Perks of the job:
· 31 days annual leave for full time workers pro-rated for part time workers
· Social events within our sustainability community each month.
· Discounted food from the café.
· Opportunities to attend our sustainability events program.
· Learning vast skills and knowledge within the Green Economy.
· Being part of a friendly and vibrant working environment
To apply please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org